Monday, March 28, 2016

Tasty healthy vegan sausages


So today we were at Mitre ten and they had a classic kiwi sausage sizzle going on, the smell wafted throughout the car park where I was hanging out with the dog while my husband ducked inside. 

I'm guilty of enjoying the odd smell of various meats, I know I'm not the best vegetarian. Anyway I decided to try and create what I like to call a "Nat friendly" version of the classic kiwi sausage sizzle. Plus I really don't like the sound of some of the strange ingredients in packaged sausages.

Please note that I also don't tend to measure things so all quantities are approximates so please taste test and alter throughout.

Ingredients:

Two tins lentils
1 cup ground cashews
1.5 cup ground whole grain rolled oats
1 onion
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 heaped tsp smoky paprika
Fresh basil leaves (7 or so)
2 Tbsp Tamari sauce
2 Tbsp + tomato paste
Handful of linseeds- grind them
Salt n pepper

Firstly you need to blend/mash the lentils really good, I misplaced my masher (or perhaps Jaydoggy stole it) and so I actually used my hands which worked really well and was much faster and more fun than using a fork. 

Then I ground the cashews in my ninja bullet and added them. I wanted really finely cut onion so I also whizzed this in the blender so it was almost liquid, along with the basil and Tamari sauce.

Add all other ingredients and mix well, it should start to clump together in one big ball. If it's not you may need to add some extra binding ingredients like the ground linseed or rolled oats. 

Then you grab a handful and roll into a long sausage shape, I made them on the small side and just tested cooking two first so I could try them and figure out if I needed to adjust anything but they were perfect!

I fried them in a pan with rice bran oil, turning regularly to ensure they didn't stick but they barely stuck at all which was a nice change from my burger attempts!

Enjoy with some fried onions and sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment