Monday, November 2, 2015

Cannelloni

I'm quite proud to say that I've found my passion for creating delicious healthy food again. I enjoy a challenge so reinventing traditionally dairy laden recipes is very satisfying. I felt like it was a risk and it certainly paid off as my cannelloni was more delicious than I could've imagined. I will warn you there are a few components to the process it's not one of these 15 minute meals so you need to have some time.



Tomato sauce:

1/2 finely chopped onion
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp Basil
Salt and pepper
1 tsp Smoky paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes

Cheese sauce:
1/2 onion
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
2 medium potatoes
1 carrot
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Pinch smoky paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk

Cannelloni filling:
1 butternut pumpkin
1 bag spinach
1/2 tin coconut milk
1 box cannelloni tubes

You will need a blender/food processor I used the ninja bullet

1. Heat oven to 180 degrees

2. Cut the pumpkin into small cubes and steam for 15-20 minutes or until soft. While steaming cut the potatoe and carrots and onions and garlic. Once pumpkins cooked set aside to cool down.

3. Set half of the onion and garlic aside for the tomato sauce. Add the other half to a pot with some oil and sauté. Add the potato and carrot and some boiling water and steam (or boil) until soft.

(Side note- steaming retains a lot more nutrients than boiling so I always prefer this method or roasting)

4. Mix the spinach into the pot with the butternut pumpkin and then add the coconut milk and blend until smooth. I did this in a few batches as the ninja only holds up to 450mls. It should be a lovely vibrant green colour. The idea of using the pumpkin is that it tastes great but is also a nice alternative to the tradition ricotta cheese.

5. Sauté the other half of the onion and garlic in a pan and then add the tinned tomatoes basil and paprika and reduce the heat and let it simmer till the sauce reduces to a nice and thick consistency. You can add tomato paste to speed up the process but I didn't find it necessary.

6. While the tomato sauce is simmering start stuffing the tubes with the spinach and pumpkin mixture. The easiest way I have found is to use two tea spoons one for pouring and one for poking to reduce the air bubbles and fill the tube properly so it cooks nicely. If you know of an easier way I'd love to hear it!!! I would probably cook this every second day if it didn't take so long to fill the tubes.

7. Add the remaining cheese sauce ingredient to the blender and mix in the potato and carrot mix. Blend until nice and creamy ensuring all of the lumps are out. Feel free to add less or more coconut milk as you desire, you can replace it with water or the juice from the pot. I'm not bothered about calories from coconut milk it's delicious and has plenty of benefits!

8. Once the tomato sauce has reduced cover the bottom of the baking dish with the sauce. Then place all of the stuffed cannelloni tubes on top of the tomato sauce. Lastly pour your "cheesy" sauce over the top and bake in the over for 45 minutes to an hour. I found the first time I made this the sauce formed an ugly brown crust so it's a good idea to cover it in tin foil and then remove the foul 15 minutes or so before its finished cook to get a slightly gold top.

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment