Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Celebrating World Vegetarian Day this Saturday the second of October!

It's also world farm day, so please take this opportunity to think about all those poor farm animals locked up away from natural light, living in miserable conditions, just for us humans to consume!

I don't think I've talked about it before, b
ut I'm on the committee which is organising the Wellington Vegetarian Festival to celebrate World Vegetarian Day! The Festival is this Saturday the 2nd of October, I'm pretty excited about it but have a lot of planning to do. You see I'm organising the Wellington Vegetarian Societies Vegan Cake Stall. Last year we had a lot of volunteers that bought along baking and we sold it on our stall, to raise funds for the society to hold future Festivals etc.

This year however, we have a lot less volunteers, so I've taken it on and as a consequence am doing most of the baking.. It is exciting but a little stressful, I hope I don't run out or have a major cake disaster on the day..! I've really been getting into vegan and gluten free baking lately and I say gluten free because last year we had a comment that there was no gluten free food. So this year I've been made an effort to learn how to bake G.F so there will be plenty of goodies for everyone on the day!

A lovely woman named Sandy who came along to our last meeting to volunteer on the day of the Festival lent me some allergy and special diet cookbooks. So I'm going to be making a few of the recipes from there (raw vegan & G.F Carrot Cake and the vegan G.F short bread cookies. Tonight I experimented with a vegan gluten free shortbread recipe and it turned out superbly! It actually tastes how I remember my Nana making it (except it's not full wit butter and white wheat flour- which is only a good thing!!).

Another lovely volunteer who came along to out last meeting with Sandy has offered to help me bake on Friday after she does some leafleting at the train station. What's great about this is she's an ex pastry chef and is keen to help out for the whole day. It's going to make things so much easier and more productive. Hopefully together we can make twice as much, twice as tasty and have twice as much fun doing it!

So moving on, as my plan is to put up every recipe that I bake for the festival, so whether you are there or not you'll be bale to try and remake the tasty and healthy goodies that will be there on the day! Soooo because I practiced the shortbread today here's the recipe... and a cute picture to give you a taste of what's to come. (I'm so tempted to put these cute little cookie animals into cages on the day...)

Ingredients:
1 cup dairy free margarine
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp xanthum gum

pinch of salt

Cream the marg, sugar and vanilla. Then add all remaining ingredients and fold the mixture until it's well blended. Roll out on a floured surface (remember gluten free flour only if you're baking for gluten free peeps), then use your cookie cutters or hands to shape and cut out the short bread. Bake in a lined tray for 10-12mins at 180 degrees. Don't let the cookies brown too much or burn around the edges.
Ice and decorate as you please! I used icing sugar and a tiny bit of marg and water and some food colouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment