Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chocolate banana cupcakes!



Ok so I actually happened to make these divine cupcakes by accident... You see I printed out several recipes yesterday and had decided to try out the chocolate banana cake but as cup cakes. However I was a little to eager beaver and didn't read the title correctly. It wasn't until I got to the end of the recipe and was wondering why it wasn't telling me where and when to put my bananas in that I looked and realised I had actually made the recipe for "the most amazing vegan chocolate cake". So I simply cross checked the two and added a little extra baking soda and of course my mashed bananas! In the end, my accident turned out to be a blessing in disguise, these cupcakes really are decadent, they're sooooo moist and light and a little too easy to eat.

Ingredients:
2.5 cups of flour
2/3 cup vegan cocoa
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil (or stewed apple)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cider or white vinegar
2 mashed bananas

First I mixed all of the dry ingredients in a big bowl until there were no lumps and they were all combined and a light brown colour. Then in a separate bowl I mixed all of the wet ingredients together including the mashed banana. Then I combined them all on the dry ingredients bowl and mixed them up until everything was really well combined. I then got my cupcake tins and moulds out and sprayed them with cooking oil. Carefully put the mixture into each cupcake mould making sure not to overfill it as it will go everywhere! Bake in the oven till a knife can be stuck in and removed with no moist mixture remaining. This will be around 30 mins but probably a little more. I baked at 180 degrees.

Once the cupcakes had cooled I iced them with chocolate ganache made from Whittaker’s 72% dark chocolate, a little bit of icing sugar and some margarine, all melted together on the stove. Spread the ganache on top of the cupcakes and then let them set in the fridge. I felt like decorating a little so I melted down some more Whittaker’s chocolate and drew some shapes onto baking paper and then let them cool. When drawing the shapes be sure to draw a stick at the bottom to push into the top of the cupcakes.

Cut the top off the cupcakes (ganache topping should be hard by now) and make a slit to push in the chocolate decoration shape. Once you've done this spread some mashed banana on the bottom half of the cupcake, and place the top on with the chocolate decoration poking out the top!! You must try it it really is amazing, especially with the mashed banana in the middle, simply divine!

Enjoy xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment