Saturday, September 11, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Cake wins award!

My Vegan Chocolate Cake with a Raspberry centre and chocolate ganache won the audiences favorite cake at Miss La Belles Burlesque bake off! I'm so excited, and happy I entered the competition. It was a fundraiser held at a Bar on Cuba St in Wellington (Mighty Mighty) the theme was fifties burlesque bake off. My contribution to the theme was my dark chocolate lattices intended to represent "fish net" stockings which are so often seen in burlesque costumes.

My cake was very similar to the one I discussed in my previous post, except I added raspberries on the bottom layer and a thin layer of white frosting largely made up of icing sugar as its a must with raspberries. The ganache was made with my favourite whittakers 72% dark chocolate, coconut cream and some icing sugar. The ganache was lovely and creamy soooooo tasty and smooth.

It took me five attempts to get it right but I can still definitely improve, the outside was still a bit too crunchy, I think next time I need to cook the majority of the cake and add the raspberries near the end. Cooking it with the raspberries from the start causes them to sink in and create a lot of moisture which takes a long time to cook. I will get it right one day though! It was lovely having people come up to me and commenting on how tasty it was and also I had a lovely man who told me his wife was Vegan and that he'd buy a slice to take home for her, how sweet!

Thanks to Alastair Moore for the fabulous photo at the top!



2 comments:

  1. hey Natalia, I'm really proud of you!
    =) nice going. have fun, love Di Barbosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone raved about the raspberries. It was like a special hidden treat

    ReplyDelete